Saturday, November 28, 2015

Advent



The day after Thanksgiving is my favorite day of the year. Schools are closed, so as a teacher I have a day off, and as a mother I didn't have to rush everyone out the door. Because it's not Saturday, there's no compulsion to do weekend errands or chores. The house is still tidy from pre-holiday preparations; the fridge is full of leftovers; the kids, if there are any, don't have soccer practice or piano lessons; I can do my grading and prep on Sunday. One needn't do anything but lie on the couch and read. If it's a bleak November day, even better.

The day after Thanksgiving is not at all like December 26, when the house is cluttered with the detritus of Christmas and the needles have already started falling off the tree. Christmas decorations and linens, so cheerful in early December, begin to look silly the minute all the presents have been opened, and they dare one to put them away before Epiphany. As always, the fun was in the anticipation.







1 comment:

  1. I saw your comment on Tom's blog. I mistook your name as a man's (though that would have been fine too). As to Advent: on my two last posts American and English people told me that they don't know it.
    Be that as it may: you defined the spirit of Advent beautifully: anticipation. (Though I find, that sometimes the fun is in the fun too :-)
    How can I follow your blog? Britta

    ReplyDelete