Friday, February 05, 2016

I love it here!

We never seem to outgrow the thrill of a snow day, which comes as a gift from the gods, unlooked for, unearned. When we are no longer students, it's even more marvelous, turning us into kids again. R got the call at 6:30 this morning as I was setting off in the wet, but after my morning class we were able to meet for a late lunch out and trudge home together through the blizzard. The streets and sidewalks are slushy - a word I taught my students this morning - but the Cambridge crews are out pushing the snow around and sprinkling sand on the old brick walkways. They've mastered the art of snow management here in New England. Another nice change from Philadelphia, which waits until the snow has stopped, making the job harder and more costly.

Once inside, out of jackets and hats and hoods and boots, the view from the window comes as a surprise, so busy were we minding our step on the way. 

And then it changes, 
seemingly every five minutes
as the sun shifts
and sets.
Time for a fire, a glass of wine, and another episode of London Spy.

18 comments:

  1. Lovely! I wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (And thanks for your efforts!)

      Delete
    2. Anything for you, dear.

      Delete
  2. Total surprise here, in the west of the state. While we didn't have anywhere pressing to be (doctor's appt, but at 1:30), we did eventually have to shed jammies and tote that shovel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday was one of those days when I was so happy not to be in my big old house. I love apartment living in the city. No shoveling, of course, and my wet, salty boots are dry by the time I get to my door.

      Delete
  3. I like the new blue look. It goes with the snow too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, totally preferable to that glaring orange-red. I think I was trying to cheer myself up, but I am definitely a blue person - melancholia runs in my veins.

      Delete
  4. How very appropriate that I'm your thirteenth follower; my cranky self feels a bit better now. Beautiful photos, we're due to get more of the white stuff tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool new look.

    I 'spect your students will be glued to the super bowl with their beer chips and chicken wings . . .

    Even here in Austria the hype is enormous. I can't understand the rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Gwil. Half my students are Chinese, and today is Chinese New Year (aka Spring Festival), which probably means they'll be busy eating hot pot and dumplings.

      Delete
    2. Ah yes, I wondered why Xiao's was closed. Maybe they will have some fireworks.

      Delete
  6. It's like Google+ in that respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never understood the rules, even when I was a high school cheerleader.

      Delete
    2. I'm reassured. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Snow is such a happiness-inducing thing (for a while, at least) - the brightness, the clear air - all that makes me always laugh, or admist grown-ups, smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. It's days later when the sidewalks are still icy and the snow is dirty, that it becomes tiresome. Luckily we're in for a fresh coating tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. Those too eager do no good when they scrap away the snow too hastily - then ice buckles remain, and then it gets difficult.

      Delete