Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Sour

For god's sake Boston, it's the end of April! It is wet and grey and 39° here, but 75° back in Pennsylvania.  I don't care if good weather does help the voter turn out. I'm sick of the whole primary process anyway, and I'm not sending anyone any more money. It's also fine with me if Lena Dunham keeps her promise to move to Canada.

With only 3 more classes to go, this is the low point of the semester. We've all lost any enthusiam we had, but I'm the one who's got to come up with a lesson. There isn't enough time to write another essay, I can't be bothered finding another interesting article for them to read, and no one but me wants to watch YouTube videos of Chomsky.

To top it off I'm about a quarter of the way through the novel that just won the Pulitizer, and it's not getting better. I would like just one simple and evocative description, one sentence without a metaphor.

And the painter came today to say he would be back tomorrow because the plaster on the bathroom ceiling is still wet and would we please not use the shower.

At least there's Hamilton. Here's how it all began.



And now.


9 comments:

  1. Same here - freezing cold (it snowed just now) and lots of depressing voting to do in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is with this ridiculous spring weather?

      Delete
  2. Just hold out a little longer and soon it will be 80 and perfect here while it is 90, sweltering and humid in Pennsylvania!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just keep reminding myself how much closer we are to Maine.

      Delete
    2. Don't you have use of a little log cabin in Maine, or was the deal never struck?

      Delete
    3. Alas, no cabin in Maine. That was a hippy pipe dream that I am glad never came true. We go to Maine every summer and especially love Monhegan Island. It was a 10-12 hour drive from Philadelphia to the ferry. Last summer we did it in 3.5 from Boston.

      Delete
  3. 3 ‘C (37 F) sleety rain on slanting wind.
    News of 30 cms new snow in East Tirol.
    Frost forecast here for overnight.
    Sunny with max 14 'C (57 F) tomorrow.
    We've had everything this April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a strange moment. Pictures from the top video and at the same time the spoken word from the follow-up to the bottom video. I was trying to match the words to the translation. It was almost surreal.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry. It's worth trying again.

      Delete