Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Facing the music

Like many people my age, I always thought I would be comfortably well off at this point in my life. Instead I find myself teaching part-time and living in an apartment building full of law school students, whom I suspect have more money that I do. I suppose their parents are still funding them and they've taken out loans which they'll repay from their corporate salaries. I try, half-heartedly, not to be bitter. Two of my three daughters tell me it's my own fault. It is, but not for the reasons they imagine.

It is my fault for absorbing my parents' message that marriage was the goal. It is my fault for marrying the wrong person. It is my fault for choosing to stay home with my children instead of pursuing a career.  It is my fault for assuming I would have inherited by now. It is my fault that I started working so late in my life, and earned so little, that it was impossible to accrue sufficient retirement funds. I admit it - I should have been a stockbroker or a lawyer. Or, as my mother would say, I should have married someone with a good income rather than a bad trust fund.

Done. Just getting this off my chest and moving dancing on.

4 comments:

  1. I never thought about any of these things. Perhaps that is the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's partly my fault too, but your mother did warn you about me. I believe her exact-ish words were, "I can see what you see in him, but he'll never have any money".

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least I didn't marry you.

    ReplyDelete