Monday, June 13, 2016

Happy Anniversary to me

Jennifer over at Sparrow Tree has just celebrated her tenth anniversary with much warranted anticipation and joy. Meanwhile, R and I got a text from my daughter Sara the other day congratulating us for our one-year anniversary. Neither of us had noticed and we couldn't have told you what the date was!

I avoided this marriage for years, having already had two others. But when we decided to move from Pennsylvania to Massachusetts last year, we learned that her health care would cover me only if we were married, MA having been ahead of the curve on marriage equality. Thanks to the Quaker heritage of Pennsylvania the state has what's called a self-marrying license. You  just pick it up at your county office and sign it in front of two witnesses. We called two neighbors and asked if they could stop by for a few minutes. When they arrived, we all signed the document at the kitchen table.

Live and let live comes to mind. We can each have the marriage/relationship we want and be happy for the other person with theirs.

10 comments:

  1. In the Netherlands, there is a license available to marry anybody, wherever and with any ritual wanted. However, still a little too much to ask from the neighbours so yours is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, Pennsylvania is the only US state with a license that requires no officiant (not even one ordained on the internet!).

      Delete
  2. Quite a step there Shawn from your old days. I congratulate you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a hand in this - having broken up her first....

      Delete
    2. Is that the way you remember it?

      Delete
  3. Happy first anniversary Shawn ...... we are celebrating our 40th anniversary next month !!!!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's impressive Jackie! Twenty years is my limit so far!!

      Delete
  4. What a great way to marry :)
    My husband and I were married by a Judge. Someone my husband knew. My mom stayed home and babysat :)
    I had already been married once and the divorce took longer than the marriage lasted. I swore I would never marry again. But my husband was persuasive .. we were married for 41 years. and we were always madly in love. I wish the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary, Shawn! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete