Wednesday, June 22, 2016

What I'm drinking

I've just started a wine-of-the-month club. I am the only member and the selection is being personally curated for me. I've engaged my son-in-law David, who has a good knowledge of wine, to buy two bottles for me every month. I hope I'll learn more about selecting wine and he'll have fun shopping on my behalf. My daughter hopes maybe this will distract him from buying for the cellar. (Unlikely) The deal is no bottle over $15 unless it's an amazing wine at a bargain price. 

This month I received a red and a white, both from the Loire. 

First up a Muscadet, which I've always liked. At $13 the 2015 Jo Landron Domaine de la Louvetrie was within my budget. I texted David: Refreshing, not as light as I expected, kind of a darker finish. Slightly fizzy on the tongue. Can I say "chalky"?  David: That could be because 2015 was a warmer year, so a little richer. And yes chalky is a good word. Yay me!

Me: But how do I know that chalky is the right word?
D:  It's just a sensation on the tongue I feel. It makes sense. It came to you.
D:  So much of good wine is about texture, not just flavor. That's what you experienced. Like with food. How fine food has a perfect texture, the perfect crunch, etc. 

           The second wine, a 2012 Chateau du Hureaux, was new to me. 
It is a lighter red, 100% Cabernet Franc, that is commonly described as herbal with a touch of green pepper. I didn't get those flavors at all. Instead of the fruitiness I was told to expect, I detected tannin and perfume and an unpleasant aftertaste on the back of the palate. David: I liked it. Didn't love it. It was satisfactory.

So the first month worked out pretty well. I spent $29 and really enjoyed one of the wines. The other was not a loss because I now know not to order it if I see it on a menu. 

On my own I picked up a bottle of Domaine de Vaufuget Vouvray in early June. This has become our go-to summer wine. It's crisp but not overly dry and has a clean finish. We've had it with salads and it's also lovely on its own. I paid $15 at my local, overpriced wine store. 





2 comments:

  1. What am I drinking you may well ask, or ask not. It's the contents of a can of Egger Austrian Premium Beer (sic) which I bought at the corner Billa. The can has a picture of a red football shirt with no. 3 and the name Michael thereon. I have no idea who Michael is but I do know that Austria gained only 1 point from 3 games and were eliminated. Perhaps Austrian Euro beer will be available at Billa and other outlets at a reduced price in a day or two . . . ? Personally I prefer Welsh Real Ale, for example Robinsons, but sometimes one has to take what one can get. Good luck with your vino!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got Belhaven ale in bottles in the fridge along with a six pack of Guinness cans. sounds better than Austrian ale.

    ReplyDelete