Friday, November 18, 2016

I really am trying

Despite the temptation to pull the covers over my head and remain in bed all day, I have been getting out a bit since the election. My son got married last weekend in the most extravagant wedding imaginable at the American Museum of Natural History in NYC. Needless to say, none of it was on my dime. As an anthropological field trip it was extremely edifying. Still I managed to have a wonderful time with my granddaughters and my daughters and their partners. And it was fun to dress up and dance the night away.

That was a brief respite from the trauma of living in the shadow of Trump's election. And it is traumatic, despite what Rachel might say. Here is a man who desperately wanted to be elected president but doesn't really want the job of being president, and who has precious little idea of what that entails. In his ignorance he will be forced to rely on those around him and will eventually become the puppet of the Republican party he so disdained. That nightmare is the best case scenario. He could just decide to continue doing it his way, hunkering down in his 5th Avenue penthouse, arguing with the press via Twitter, taking advice from his children, and chatting to world leaders on his home phone, free of briefing materials.

The disbelief and dismay has already produced some great comedy, but the most poignant broadcast response came from Kate McKinnon, still in Hillary mode, on SNL.


1 comment:

  1. You are a voice of reason (and calm). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete