Monday, November 21, 2016

It's coming on Winter

Thanksgiving is upon us. Family. Sometimes it's your own and sometimes it's not. This year, not.  R and I are heading back to Philadelphia to spend the weekend with her crazy, evangelical Christian, Trump-voting parents and her brother and his family. The kids will be cute and the brother will be fine as long as he is able to forget that he's a priest. It will be dueling religions (Episcopalians vs Evangelicals) and incompatible politics. Me, I'm the anti-Zionist Jew whose parents always voted Democrat.

This should be a happy time, but I see a turkey and think only of its suffering in a too small cage 'til it's so fat it cannot stand.

I wish I had a river I could skate away on.

And, please, don't tell me to buck up. Send cash.


9 comments:

  1. When you get home, you can give heartfelt thanks: Thank Christ that's over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo dear Shawn ..... that visit doesn't bode well !!!!! .... just keep away from polotics and religion and, hopefully, all will be well !! I'm sure you will all have a lovely time. Happy Thanksgiving to you all .... the money is in the post !! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too many Norman Rockwell posters in our past, real or remembered as such. I just came upon the outliving of old family and unfamiliarity with the new, young family. I called my daughter's mother in law and invited myself. I will endure the drinking for the company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with yours, Joanne. For me, drinking is the only way I can endure it.

      Delete
  4. Difficult - but it seems, when I read it through, that the better outweighs the bad. Evade politics, eat the cranberries when you do not like turkey, and enjoy the cute children!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Shawn, I'm liking you more and more. Another anti-Zionist Jew (by birth) and No Religion (by choice). I don't know if I could survive that Thanksgiving table, but just think of it as stories you can tell here. Thanksgiving is hard enough (all those holiday expectations) without having to suffer family you wouldn't choose as friends. I will keep you in my thoughts and look forward to good stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My answer when asked how I am going to get through it: By drinking whiskey and talking about James Joyce. Gotta have a plan!

      Delete
  6. Now i like you both less and less,sorry.

    ReplyDelete