Thursday, December 08, 2016

At home


Recovery from the surgery is going a bit more slowly* than anticipated. Walking makes my ear throb, as I learned yesterday when I went out briefly to buy toothpaste and mail a letter. Probably I shouldn't have done two weeks of accumulated laundry either, necessitating numerous trips to the basement and leaning into the machines to extract and untangle sheets and towels. My plan was to return to work today to teach my afternoon class, but I've had to email the secretary to say I can't make it. Three hours of entertaining sulky 19-year olds would have done me in, and I have to save my energy for Friday's class with the Chinese English teachers.

So, I've bundled up, put a fake log on the fire (the only kind we're allowed) and settled into the couch for the day. The fake log is actually very satisfying - a perfect vision of bright jumping flames all around. With no sudden sparks or falling embers I do not need a fire screen, so it warms the room all the more. The cats and I are very cozy. 

*age?

video
                                  Proof that the fake log works.


7 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that it worked - though of course not as quick as you anticipated - healing needs time! And every move - so I imagine - makes blood throbbing through your ear, you hear it.
    Do I understand that right: the false fire log gives warmths? Or is that just psychological?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britta and Joanne - I explain the logs better in my new post. Sorry about the confusion!

      Delete
  2. My daughter has a fake log on her fire. I love it. Visually as satisfying as a real log, just as warm, and no ashes to clean out. Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sound of all sorts of things will take you by surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be glad to stop pretending I hear people when I don't. Lots of smiling and nodding.

      Delete
  4. Reminds me of WW1 - GAS! GAS! GAS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you please sit still and recover!!! Age nothing. You're supposed to pamper yourself... and whine!

    ReplyDelete