Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Hopeful

Not for the country or the planet, alas, but for my hearing, which will be restored if today's surgery is a success. I lost the hearing in my left ear over 20 years ago and today I had a stapedectomy, an operation that replaces the stapes, one of the little bones in the middle ear, with a nifty little prosthesis. I only learned about the procedure a few weeks ago when I saw an ear doctor at Mass General, one of the country's premier hospitals. I was thrilled about the possibility of doubling my hearing but dismayed to learn that this surgery has been available for many decades. God only knows why the otologist I saw in Philadelphia 15 years ago told me that he "could operate but didn't know if it would do any good." The success rate is 90%.

"A very brave woman", as my father says, I planned to Uber to the hospital by myself this morning and Uber home in the afternoon. It was out patient surgery, after all, so of course I could do it all on my own. When I saw the surgeon in his office, he assured me that I did not need anyone to come with me. But when the pre-op instructions arrived, they made it clear that one had to be accompanied. My wonderful daughter said she would go with me. Not content to just show up at the end, she insisted on meeting me there at 6 a.m. and staying with me all day. Good thing, too, as the nurses said they would not have allowed me to leave alone.

So now it's wait and see. I rashly told my students I would finally be able to hear them when we next met, but it turns out that the ear has to heal first and I won't have maximum hearing for several weeks.
Here's hoping.

13 comments:

  1. I wish you good luck and good healing, and think of you. So good that your daughter will be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Britta. She's a gem.

      Delete
  2. So strange and unfortunate about all the misinformation. But this is so exciting. I'm keeping all good thoughts that you will soon be getting an earful (well, TWO earfuls)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, Shawn. I hope you are one of the 90% successes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now it's tomorrow and may everything be according to plan. What a neat little bit of surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne! It was easy-peasy and recovery is painless. Don't like not being able to wash my hair for a week though. Apparently, this would be nothing to Stevenson.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous! I want to hear all you hear now.!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Letting myself have a fire in the morning while I recover and wondering if you would disapprove! But then, I'm not aiming for financial independence, just day to day solvency!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an English language blog. I will delete your comment if I cannot read it. Basic French and Spanish also accepted.

      Delete
  8. I think my mother had that surgery many years ago after wearing hearing aids many years. I hope the healing goes well.

    ReplyDelete