Sunday, January 08, 2017

Behind the times

In recent years I've bragged about my successful efforts at keeping up with social change and technology. Judging from the blogosphere I frequent, I am more current than many of my age mates. I'm comfortable with my iPhone, laptop and Smart TV and can generally troubleshoot when necessary with the help of online help sites. My fashion choices are not out of place at a book reading in Harvard Square, a day at the Museum of Modern Art, dinner in SoHo (the NY one) or a weekend in Copenhagen. My socio-political views are in tune with those of my most intelligent and forward thinking family members. I'm up on the latest books and films. But I seem to have parted ways with the popular culinary scene.

Grain bowls? A recent recipe from the New York Times calls for yellow turnip, garlic, shallots, farro, arugula, ricotta and hazelnuts to be tossed in a vinaigrette flavored with maple syrup. This strikes me as something I might throw together if I am dining alone and a raging blizzard precludes a trip to the grocery store. I would not set out to make a dish like this by hunting for a recipe and compiling a shopping list. But grain bowls (what a horrible name) are everywhere these days. And they seem destined to take over the menus of popular restaurants the way Mexican food did ten years ago. I'm still angry about that.

Last night we had coq au vin. There was a salad on the side. The grain was in the bread, also on the side.


15 comments:

  1. Your socio-political views need to be reflected upon, along with those of your friends may be, as it is possible that an alternative point of view may be out there that is at least worth listening to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you've missed the point of this post.

      Delete
  2. Grain bowls, huh? Oh, please. I hope the trend doesn't make it here any time soon. As for that recipe, one of the benefits of never cooking is never having the opportunity to throw something like that together. I'd be happy with a bag of hazelnuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Hazelnuts and a Bloody Mary make a fine meal. Sorry to report that we just came from lunch where a quinoa, lentil and spinach bowl was on the menu.

      Delete
    2. Ha! I suppose quinoa, lentils, and spinach could be very good -- as long as it's not called a Grain Bowl!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous5:58 PM EST

    I'll reserve judgement on the grain bowls until I try one. Interesting, I have not seen them at the restaurants I frequent. Currently, I'm looking at Miso soup recipes. Have you tried this? Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like miso soup. And it's so easy to make.

      Delete
  4. My daughter sold her restaurant over the summer. She was among the first to offer local produce, local and locally sourced meats. When she sold what I thought remained a great idea she said yes, it was a good idea, except among the "trend setters," whose ideas outpaced their sense. I suppose if I said grain bowls to her she'd groan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, those trend setters. Never happy unless they're one step ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grain-bowls sounds not very appetizing in my ear... indicating perhaps what it shall do? "Flush-bowls" might work even better for a three star cook :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grain-bowls doesn't exactly stimulate the taste buds, does it Shawn ? I think they just have to think up new things to make money , especially at this time of year when everyone is trying to be healthy. I'm an 'everything in moderation' type of a girl and it's held me in good stead.
    .... mind you, I bet I look up grain-bowls before the day is out !!
    Oh, and a belated Happy New Year to you and yours Shawn. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you, too, Jack@ !!

      Delete
  8. Anonymous7:35 PM EST

    Today, at Whole Foods Grocery store, I saw a noodle bowl. Meals in bowls appear to be in vogue. It looked healthy enough but not as appetizing as my steak waiting for me at home. At WF I bought all the ingredients for my Miso soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meals in bowls just seem like toddler food to me. I guess it's part of the contemporary need to be able to eat anywhere. Good luck with the miso soup.

      Delete