Thursday, June 08, 2017

#ComeyDay


When the Watergate hearings began in May 1973 I was living in Bath with limited TV access. We had a TV, but there wasn't much on, and I had to make do with news reports of what was happening in Washington until July when we went to Maine for a month. Because I had a one-year old at the time, I missed most of the gavel-to-gavel broadcast, but we did see highlights in the evening. Mostly I remember the tension we all felt as the nation watched the presidency crumble.

Many had a similarly heady feeling today in the hours leading up to Jim Comey's testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee. One difference though is that while we watched Watergate in horror and shock, today there was hopeful optimism. We wanted to hear Trump-damning revelations that could convince even the Republicans.

This did not happen and Trump remains as secure in his job as he was yesterday. The status quo will continue until the Republicans feel they have no choice but to impeach. The sad postscript to today's hearing was the cognitive diminution displayed by John McCain.

Serious viewing in a bar in Brooklyn this morning.

Meanwhile, Trump's personal lawyer (center) is accusing Comey of perjury.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I remember partying for the Nixon impeachment. I hope I can still party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when the time comes you will rise to the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like the balloon keeps getting filled and then someone keeps letting the air out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a perfect metaphor! We're all waiting for it to pop.

      Delete